Beth Darnall, PhD
Co-Chair, Task Force on Pain Psychology, American Academy of Pain Medicine
Co-Chairs Beth Darnall, PhD, Judith Scheman, PhD, and Sean Mackey, MD, PhD are leading a national needs assessment for pain psychology services. The goal is to determine needs and barriers to accessing pain psychology, and ultimately to develop initiatives that will dismantle barriers to high quality pain psychology services in the U.S.
The April 2015 Issue of MORE Magazine Features Dr. Darnall in an Article on Chronic Pain
Dr. Beth Darnall is Clinical Associate Professor in the Division of Pain Medicine at Stanford University and author of Less Pain, Fewer Pills ©2014 . As a pain psychologist she has 15 years experience treating adults with chronic pain, and she lived through her own chronic pain experience. She enjoys helping people with chronic pain gain control over mind and body and live their best life possible.
- Helping people harness the power of their mind-body connection to reduce suffering, pain, and use of medications
- Helping people gain control over pain through scientifically proven psychological and behavioral skills building
- Helping people reduce reliance on doctors and medications for symptom management by arming them with the right information
- Specialized treatment for pain catastrophizing
- Helping people see the “blind spots” in their daily choices—these usually end up providing big wins in pain management
- Developing and disseminating specialized pain treatment tools that broaden access to low-cost care (including audio CDs, DVDs, videos, classes, and books).
Dr. Darnall is a licensed clinical psychologist (CA License #25495)
Connect With Beth
This informative site is dedicated to providing support and non-drug treatment alternatives for pain. It was built with zero budget by a woman with severe pain and limited resources. Only one of its kind!
Learn how to “Open the Medicine Box in Your Mind”, Stanford Lecture by Beth Darnall, PhD
Dr. Darnall discusses her newly published research on a single-session treatment for pain catastrophizing.
2012 Watch Beth Darnall’s KATU-TV commercials for the "BodyWorlds and The Brain" exhibit at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI), Portland, OR.
Vietnam TV coverage of Dr. Darnall teaching mirror therapy to Can Tho physicians (Nov. 26, 2011)