- Sharifzadeh Y, Kao MC, Sturgeon JA, Mackey SC, Darnall BD. Pain Catastrophizing Moderates Relationships between Pain Intensity and Opioid Prescription: Nonlinear Sex Differences Revealed Using a Learning Health System.
- Darnall BD, Sturgeon JA, Cook KF, Taub CJ, Burns JW, Sullivan MJ, Mackey SC. Development and Validation of the Daily Pain Catastrophizing Scale. (in review).*
- Sun EC, Dixit A, Humphreys KN, Darnall BD, Baker LC, Mackey SC. Association between concurrent use of prescription opioids and benzodiazepines and overdose: retrospective analysis. Br Med J 2017 Mar 14;356:j760. doi: 10.1136/bmj.j760. PMID:2829276.
- Carriere JS, Martel MO, Sturgeon JA, Sullivan MC, Darnall BD. Pain behavior mediates the relationship between perceived injustice and opioid prescription for chronic pain: A Collaborative Health Outcomes Information Registry (CHOIR) study. J Pain Res. 2017 Mar 7;10:557-566. doi: 10.2147/JPR.S128184 *
- Taub CJ, Sturgeon JA, Johnson KA, Mackey SC, Darnall BD. Effects of a Pain Catastrophizing Induction on Sensory Testing in Women with Chronic Low Back Pain: A Pilot Study. J Pain Res Manage, 2017. Article ID 7892494. doi: 10.1155/2017/7892494.
- Darnall BD, Cohen R. Behavioral Risk Factors and Interventions, Including Hypnosis for Acute and Chronic Pain After Surgery. IASP Fact Sheet (2017 Global Year Against Pain After Surgery). IASP Press, JAN 2017. http://www.europeanpainfederation.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/6.-Behavioral-risk-factors-and-management.Darnall-Cohen.pd
- Herndon CM, Arnstein P, Darnall B, Hartrick C, Hecht K, Lyons M, Maleki J, Manworren R, Miaskowski C, Sehgal N. American Pain Society’s Principles of Analgesic Use, 7th Edition ©2016.
- Feinstein AB, Sturgeon JA, Dunn A, Rico T, Darnall BD, Kao MC, Bhandari RP. The Impact of Pain Catastrophizing on Outcomes: A Developmental Perspective across Children, Adolescents and Young Adults with Chronic Pain. J Pain. 2016 Nov 4. pii: S1526-5900(16)30279-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jpain.2016.10.009.*
- Sun EC, Jena AB, Kao MC, Darnall BD, Baker LC, Mackey SC. Incidence of and Risk Factors for Chronic Opioid Use Among Opioid Naïve Patients in the Perioperative Period. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2016; Sep 1; 176(9):1286-93. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.3298 PMID: 27400458.
- Jiang Y, Oathes DJ, Hush J, Darnall BD, Charvat M, Mackey S, Etkin A. Perturbed Amygdalar Connectivity with the Central Executive and Default Mode Networks in Chronic Pain. PAIN ®. 2016 Sep; 157(9):1970-8. PMID: 27168362.*
- Bhandari RP, Feinstein AB, Huestis S, Krane EJ, Dunn AL, Cohen LL, Kao MC, Darnall BD, Mackey SC. Pediatric-Collaborative Health Outcomes Information Registry (Peds-CHOIR): A Data Management Platform to Guide Pediatric Pain Research and Treatment at the Group and Individual Levels. PAIN ®. 2016; Sep 157(9):2033-44.* PMID: b7280328*
- Sturgeon JA, Carriere JS, Kao MC, Rico T, Darnall BD, Mackey SC. Social disruption mediates the relationship between perceived injustice and anger in chronic pain: A Collaborative Health Outcomes Information Registry Study. Annals of Behavioral Medicine. June 2016.* DOI: 10.1007/s12160-016-9808-6
- Darnall BD, Carr DB, Schatman ME. Pain Psychology and the Biopsychosocial Model of Pain Treatment: Ethical Imperatives and Social Responsibility. Pain Medicine. July 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/pm/pnw166
- Darnall BD, Scheman J, Davins S, Burns JW, Murphy JL, Wilson AC, Kerns R, Mackey SC. Pain Psychology: A global needs assessment and national call to action. Pain Medicine. 2016; 17(2): 250-263.* Open Access available: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26803844
- Darnall BD. Pain Psychology & Pain Catastrophizing in the Perioperative Setting: A review of impacts and unmet needs. Hand Clin. 2016 Feb;32(1):33-9. doi: 10.1016/j.hcl.2015.08.005.
- Schatman ME, Darnall BD. Ethics Forum: Conflict of Interest, Part II: Pain Society Leadership and Industry. Pain Medicine. 2016 Jan; 10.1093/pm/pnv041.
- Darnall BD. Compassion Cultivation in Chronic Pain May Reduce Anger, Pain, and Increase Acceptance: Review and Commentary. Health Care: Current Reviews. 2015. 3:1 http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2375-4273.1000142
- Sturgeon JA, Dixon E, Darnall BD, Mackey SC. Contributions of Physical Function and Satisfaction with Social Roles to Emotional Distress in Chronic Pain: A Collaborative Health Outcomes Information Registry (CHOIR) Study. PAIN ®. JUL 2015. PMID: 26230739.*
- Darnall BD, Schatman ME. The relationship between industry and pain societies, Part 1: Demystification and legitimization in continuing medical education. Pain Medicine. 1 JUL 2015, DOI: 10.1111/pme.12828
- Darnall BD, Schatman ME. Opioid Use and Lactation: Protecting the Child in the Context of Maternal Pain Care. Pain Medicine. 2015; 16(4): 631-2.
- Christian J, Darnall BD, Feinberg R, Feinberg S, Kalauokalani D, Pasero C, Pohl M. American Chronic Pain Association Resource Guide to Chronic Pain Medication and Treatment: 2015 Edition. http://www.theacpa.org/uploads/documents/ACPA_Resource_Guide_2015_Final edited (3).pdf
- Halawa O, Al-Diri I, McLean SA, Darnall BD. When I’m in Pain, I feel God is Testing Me: Differences in Middle Eastern and US Cancer Pain Experiences. BAOJ Palliative Medicine. Feb 2015.*
- Sturgeon JA, Darnall BD, Kao MC, Mackey SC. Physical and Psychological Correlates of Fatigue and Physical Function: A Collaborative Health Outcomes Information Registry (CHOIR) study. Journal of Pain. Dec 2014; doi:10.1016/j.jpain.2014.12.004.*
- Sturgeon JA, Darnall BD, Zwickey H, Wood LJ, Hanes D, Zava D, Mackey SC. Pro-Inflammatory Cytokines and DHEA-S in Women with FMS: Impact of Psychological Distress and Menopausal Status. J Pain Research. 2014; (7): 707-716. http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/JPR.S71344.* PMC4259557
- Darnall BD & Schatman ME. Urine Drug Screening: The Risks of Opioids Preclude Complete Patient Autonomy. Pain Medicine. 2014; Nov 6 [epub ahead of print] doi: 10.1111/pme.12604_4.
- Darnall BD & Schatman ME. Urine Drug Screening: Necessary or Alienating? Pain Medicine. 2014; [epub ahead of print] doi: 10.1111/pme.12604.
- Chapin, HL, Darnall BD, Seppala E, Hah JM, Doty J, Mackey SC. Compassion meditation training for people living with chronic pain and their significant others: A pilot study and mixed-methods analysis. J Compassionate Healthcare. 2014; 1:4. doi:10.1186/s40639-014-0004-x.*
- Schatman ME, Darnall BD. Intrathecal Opioids: Hardly a Panacea. Pain Medicine. 2014 Aug 4. doi: 10.1111/pme.12494_4. PMID: 25092110.
- Schatman ME, Darnall BD. Intrathecal Opioids for Chronic Nonmalignant Pain: A Case Study and the Search for Balance. Pain Medicine. 2014; 10.1111/pme.12494. PMID: 25091712.
- Darnall BD, Sturgeon JA, Hah JM, Kao MC, Mackey SC. ‘From Catastrophizing to Recovery’: A pilot study of a single-session treatment for pain catastrophizing. J Pain Research. 2014; (7):219-226. PMID: 24851056.*
- Schatman ME & Darnall BD. The needle and the damage done? Pain Medicine. 2014; 15(4):546-7. PMID: 24635998.
- Schatman ME & Darnall BD. A practical and ethical solution to the opioid scheduling conundrum. J Pain Research. 2014; (7):1-3. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/JPR.S58148.
- Schatman ME & Darnall BD. “Just Saying No” to Mandatory Pain CME: How Important Is Physician Autonomy? Pain Medicine. Nov 2013; DOI: 10.1111/pme.12285_4.
- Schatman ME & Darnall BD. Upscheduling of Hydrocodone: Convenience and Access vs. Patient Safety Measures. Pain Medicine. 2013; 14(11):1627. Doi: 10.1111/pme.12257.
- Schatman ME & Darnall BD. Among disparate views, scales tipped by the ethics of system integrity. Pain Medicine. Nov 2013; 14(11):1629-30. Doi: 10.1111/pme.12257_4.
- Darnall BD, Schatman ME. Autonomy vs paternalism in the emergency department: the potential deleterious impact of patient satisfaction surveys. Pain Medicine. 2013; Jul;14(7):968. doi: 10.1111/pme.12170.
- Darnall BD & Schatman ME. A Call to Action and Evolution. Pain Medicine. 2013; Jul;14(7):969-70. doi: 10.1111/pme.12170_4.
- Schatman ME, Darnall BD. Medical Marijuana: A viable tool in the armamentaria of physicians treating chronic pain? Pain Medicine. 2013; Jun;14(6):799. doi: 10.1111/pme.12137.
- Schatman ME, Darnall BD. Ethical Pain Care in a Complex Case. Pain Medicine. 2013; Jun;14(6):800-1. doi: 10.1111/pme.12137_3.
- Schatman ME & Darnall BD. A Pendulum Swings Awry: Reconciling Divergent Views on Restrictions on Opioid Prescribing for Chronic Non-Cancer Pain. Pain Medicine 2013. May;14(5):617. Doi: 10.1111/pme.12120.
- Darnall BD, Stacey BR, Chou R. Medical and psychological risks and consequences of long-term opioid use in women (comprehensive review) Pain Medicine 2012; 13(9); [DOI: 10.1111/j.1526-4637.2012.01467.x].*
- Schatman ME & Darnall B. The resurrection of the Ethics Forum in Pain Medicine: An introduction. Pain Medicine. 2013 Apr;14(4):453-4. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-4637.2012.01378.x.
- Darnall BD & Sazie E. Pain characteristics and pain catastrophizing in incarcerated women with chronic pain. J Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2012; 23(2):544-557.*
- Darnall BD & Stacey BR. Sex differences in long-term opioid use: Cautionary notes for prescribing in women. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2012; 172(5):431-432.
- Darnall BD & Li H. Home-based self-delivered mirror therapy for phantom pain: A pilot study. J Rehabilitation Medicine. 2012; 44:254-260. [DOI: 10.2340/16501977-0933].*
- Darnall B & Li H. Hysterectomy and predictors for opioid prescription in a chronic pain clinic sample. Pain Medicine. 2011; 12(2): 196-203. [DOI: 10.1111/j.1526-4637.2010.01038.x].*
- Darnall BD, Aickin M, Zwickey H. Pilot study of inflammatory responses following a negative imaginal focus in persons with chronic pain: Analysis by sex/gender. Gender Medicine. 2010; 7(3) 1-13.*
- Darnall BD & Suarez EC. Sex and gender in psychoneuroimmunology research: Past, present and future (Review). Brain, Behavior & Immunity. 2009; 23(5): 595-604.
- Darnall BD. Self-delivered home-based mirror therapy for lower limb phantom pain. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2009; Jan, 88(1):78-81. (Editor’s choice for the cover of this issue)*
- Darnall BD, Ephraim P, Wegener ST, Dillingham T, Pezzin L, Rossbach P, & MacKenzie E. Prevalence of Depressive Symptoms and Mental Health Care Utilization in Persons with Limb Loss: Results of a National Survey. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 2005; 86: 650-8.*
- Darnall BD, Craighead, LW, Coleman L, Greenburg L, Carey G. (2002) The relationship between athletic identity, elite athlete self-esteem, coping, and pathology in elite athletes. Boulder, CO; University of Colorado Press.
- Darnall BD, Smith JE, Craighead LW, & Lamounier JA. Modification of the Cognitive Model for Bulimia via Path Analysis on a Brazilian Adolescent Sample. Addictive Behaviors. 1999; 24(1): 47-57.*
- Darnall BD. Empowering Patients with Chronic Pain to Look Beyond Opioids. PCSS Monthly (July 2015). (Clinical Support System for Opioid Therapies and Providers’ Clinical Support System for Medication Assisted Treatment). http://pcssmat.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/July-2015-PCSS-Monthly-Update.pdf
- Darnall BD. Targeting a saboteur of surgical outcomes: Pain catastrophizing. Practical Pain Management. April, 2015. http://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/treatments/psychological/cognitive-behavioral-therapy/targeting-saboteur-surgical-outcomes-pain
- Darnall BD. Minimize Opioids by Optimizing Pain Psychology. Pain Management. 2014; Jul 4(4):251-3. doi: 10.2217/pmt.14.18. PMID: 25300380
- Darnall BD. Pre-amputation mirror therapy and home-based self-delivered mirror therapy for phantom pain. O&P Business News (Orthotics & Prosthetics) 2010; April, 26(5): 26.
- Darnall BD. Treating Chronic Pain Requires More Than a Pill. San Francisco Chronicle, Op-Ed. April 4, 2016.
- Darnall BD. Self-Management and the National Pain Strategy. National Pain Report, March 29, 2016. http://nationalpainreport.com/self-management-and-the-national-pain-strategy-8829933.html
- Darnall BD. Empowering people with chronic pain to have less pain and need fewer pills. Empathic Therapy Newsletter. December, 2014 (Vol. 5, Issue 4). http://secure.campaigner.com/Campaigner/Public/t.show?7qkkr–3upqn-34674s9&_v=2
- Darnall BD. Transcending opioid injustice. July 20, 2014. http://paindr.com/transcending-opioid-injustice/
- Darnall BD. Surge in opioid prescriptions for pregnant women indicates a need for safer pain management strategies. April 16, 2014. https://www.bullpub.com/blog/Surge-in-Opioid-Prescriptions-for-Pregnant-Women-Indicate-a-Need-for-Safer-Pain-Management-Strategies
- Darnall BD. Your psychology affects your response to medical treatments and to pain medications. National Register for Health Service Psychologists. January 10, 2014. http://www.findapsychologist.org/your-psychology-affects-your-response-to-medical-treatments-and-to-pain-medications-by-dr-beth-darnall/
- Darnall BD. Surviving a pain flare. Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain LIFE magazine 2012; Jan/Feb print edition; [Epub ahead of print] http://fibropainlife.org/2012/01/17/surviving-a-pain-flare/
- Darnall BD. Sex/gender disparity in pain and pain treatment: Closing the gap and meeting women’s treatment needs. Pain Management 2011; July: 25-27.
- Darnall BD. Mirror therapy: Expanding global access to phantom pain care. InMotion 2010; 20 (6): 42-44.
- Darnall BD. “Pain as It Presents in Clinic: Complex and Comorbid.” J Pain and Symptom Management 2013; 45(6): 1120-1121. (Book review of Pain comorbidities: Understanding and treating the complex patient, Giamberardino MA and Jensen TS, Eds. IASP Press, Seattle, WA, USA 2012).
1. Sturgeon JA, Zautra A, Darnall BD. Physical and social pain: Twin challenges in well-being in adult life. The Wiley Encyclopedia of Health Psychology. Sweeny K and Robbins M, Eds. Wiley Press (in press).
2. Darnall BD and Sturgeon JA. Pain Psychology in the Perioperative and Chronic Pain Contexts. Anesthesiology Update. Longnecker and Mackey SC, Eds. McGraw Hill (in press).
1. Darnall BD. The Opioid-Free Pain Relief Kit: 10 Simple Steps to Ease Your Pain © 2016. Bull Publishing, Boulder, CO. (130 pages).
2. Darnall BD. Less Pain, Fewer Pills: Avoid the Dangers of Prescription Opioids and Gain Control Over Chronic Pain. © 2014. Bull Publishing, Boulder, CO. (240 pages)
3. Darnall BD. The Surprising Psychology of Pain: A Pain Psychologist’s Evidence-Based Formula for Relief from Catastrophizing, Dread, and Pain (available Fall 2017; Bull Publishing, Boulder, CO).
Columns / Blog Posts
1. Huffington Post Canada. (May 2016- present)
05/20/16 “7 Tips for Tapering Off Opioids” (Darnall BD)
05/27/16 “Quieting Your Harm Alarm” (Darnall BD)
06/05/16 “Opioids Limits Alone Is Not a Sustainable Pain Care Plan” (Darnall BD) Read it here.
10/16″4 Tips for Using Your Brain to Calm Pain” (Darnall BD)
2. “Ask Dr. Beth, Pain Psychologist”, National Pain Report americannewsreport.com/nationalpainreport/ (June 2013 –2014)
06/04/13 “Why Do Women Have More Pain Than Men?” (Darnall BD)
11/26/13 “What To Do When Someone Doubts Your Pain.” (Darnall BD)
12/18/13 “Chronic Pain and Overeating.” (Darnall BD)
07/23/14 “How Do I Find a Pain Psychologist?” (Darnall BD)
3. “Less Pain, Fewer Pills” blog at Psychology Today
The Psychology Today website has 4.2 million site views each month.
06/23/14 “Chronic Pain: Reduce Opioids and Your Risks” (Darnall BD)
07/14/14 “What is a Pain Psychologist?” (Darnall BD)
08/25/14 “Pain Psychology: Is it really all in your head?” (Darnall BD)
09/25/14 “Your Psychology Affects Your Response to Medical Treatments.” (Darnall BD)
12/03/14 “Social Pain = Physical Pain: 5 Tips for Relief.” (Darnall BD)
12/16/14 “9 Tips to Stop Anger and Injustice from Hurting You” (Darnall BD)
01/09/15 “Love and Pain” (Darnall BD)
03/01/15 “Fear and Pain Can Alter Memory” (Darnall BD)
09/22/15 “Opening the Medicine Box in Your Mind” (Darnall BD)
03/20/16 “Pain Psychology for Women: 5 Tips for Pain Relief (Darnall BD)
08/28/16 “Looking Beyond Opioids for Chronic Pain” (Darnall BD)
03/10/16 “How Psychologists, Physicians Can Coexist in Pain Medicine” (Darnall BD) Read it here.
4. October 2016. Radio MD– Guest Post: “4 Tips for Using Your Brain to Control Pain” Read it here.
5. October 2016. Pittsburgh Better Times. Guest Post: “5 Tips for Pain Relief- No drugs involved.” Read it here.