Beth Darnall, PhD, is a psychologist-scientist who studies the mind and body within the contexts of pain and pain relief. She investigates how pain can be altered by people harnessing the power of the mind to shape the nervous system. She develops treatments that empowers patients to best control their symptoms and reduce pain medications when desired. Her publications are resources that are widely used by clinicians and patients. Beth leads training workshops for organizations, healthcare clinicians and psychologists, so they can use these powerful evidence-based therapies.
Selected Open-Access Scientific Articles
- Darnall BD, Mackey SC, Stieg RL, Flood P, Kao MC, Lorig K, Mardian A, Porter J, Okvat H, Colloca L, De Bruyne K, Tian L, Perez L, McGovern M, King H, Murphy JL, Van Dorsten B, Pun T, and Cheung M. Comparative Effectiveness of Pain Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Chronic Pain Self-Management within the Context of Voluntary Patient-Centered Prescription Opioid Tapering: The EMPOWER Study Protocol. Pain Med. 2019 Dec 26. 10.1093/pm/pnz285 PMID:31876947
- Darnall BD, Ziadni MS, Krishnamurthy P, Mackey IG, Heathcote L, Taub CJ, Flood P, Wheeler A. “My Surgical Success”: Effect of a Digital Behavioral Pain Medicine Intervention on Time to Opioid Cessation After Breast Cancer Surgery—A Pilot Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial. Pain Med. 2019; 20(11): 2228–2237. https://doi.org/10.1093/pm/pnz094. Received Editor’s Choice designation for the issue.
- Darnall BD & Colloca L. Optimizing Placebo and Minimizing Nocebo to Reduce Pain, Catastrophizing, and Opioid Use: A Review of the Science and an Evidence-Informed Clinical Toolkit. Int Rev Neurobiol. 2018;139:129-157.
- Darnall BD. To treat pain, study people in all their complexity. Nature 2018 May; 557 (7703):7. PMID: 29717254.
- Darnall BD, Ziadni MS, Stieg RL, Mackey IG, Kao MC, Flood P. Patient-Centered Prescription Opioid Tapering in Community Outpatients with Chronic Pain. JAMA Internal Medicine, 2018 May 1;178(5):707-708. PMID: 29459978.
- Darnall BD, Ziadni MS, Roy A, Kao MC, Sturgeon JA, Cook KF, Lorig K, Burns JW, Mackey SC. Comparative Efficacy and Mechanisms of a Single-Session Pain Psychology: Protocol for a Randomized Controlled Trial in Chronic Low Back Pain. Trials 2018; 19:165. PMID: 29510735.
View Dr. Darnall’s full listing of peer-reviewed articles.